There’s no escaping Aadhaar in this day and age. Here’s everything you need to know about e-Aadhaar. Read on!
Before exploring everything about e-Aadhaar, there are things you need to know about the Aadhaar card. Let’s start by understanding the need to introduce this system in the first place. Aadhaar also referred to as UID, assigns a unique identification number to each citizen.
Additional Reading: Aadhaar Linking Pending? Here’s A List Of All Your Deadlines
There are a lot of benefits associated with the Aadhaar card. These include various subsidies that the government provides, like the subsidy on gas for example. The project is run by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and was introduced in January 2009.
What Are The Uses Of Aadhaar Card?
Apart from serving as your universal identity proof, here are some other uses of an Aadhaar card:
- Government subsidy
The government of India provides certain subsidies to particular citizens. However, there have been instances where such welfare has been misused. One of the major reasons to launch Aadhaar cards was to help solve this problem and ensure that those who require welfare, and are eligible for it, get it.
It is also meant to serve as a document of identification that would prove a person’s eligibility to enrol in government programs like the right to education and the Sarva Shikhsha Abhiyaan.
- Gas connection
Everyone who has an Aadhaar card can use it to avail a subsidy on gas cylinders. In order to avail it, they need to have an Aadhaar card that’s linked to their gas connection and also to their bank account.
- Phone connection
Your Aadhaar card can also be used to replace KYC documents like identity proofs and proof of address while applying for a new landline/cell phone connection.
- Bank accounts
The major advantage of having a bank account linked to the Aadhaar number is that when you qualify for a government welfare scheme and you need to receive monetary advances, they can be transferred to the linked bank account post haste.
Additional Reading: 3 Crucial Points To Know About Linking Aadhaar With Mutual Funds
What Is An E-Aadhaar Card?
An electronic version of your Aadhaar card can be downloaded online by submitting your Aadhaar or the enrolment ID. This version is as valid as the original card.
Additional Reading: Lost Your Aadhaar Card? Here’s What You Can Do
What Information Is Available On E-Aadhaar Card?
Your e-Aadhaar card contains your biometric and demographic information like:
- Aadhaar number
- Photograph of the cardholder
- Name of the cardholder
- Date of birth of the cardholder
- Address of the cardholder
- Gender of the cardholder
- Biometric details such as a fingerprint of the individual
How To Download E-Aadhaar Card?
In order to download your e-Aadhaar card, here’s all you need to do:
- Visit the e-Aadhaar website
- Choose ‘Enrolment ID’ or ‘Aadhaar’
- Enter your Aadhaar number or Enrolment ID and other details such as name, PIN code, mobile number, etc.
- Click ‘Get One Time Password’
- You will receive the password on your phone via a text message
- Input the OTP and click ‘Validate and Download’
- The e-Aadhaar card will be downloaded on your computer
To open the e-Aadhaar card, you will have to enter your PIN Code as the file is password protected.
Additional Reading: Want To Check If Your Bank Account Is Linked to Aadhaar? Follow These Steps
What Are The Benefits Of E-Aadhaar Card?
Here are the major benefits of an e-Aadhaar card:
- Since e-Aadhaar card is an electronic card available online, it can be accessed at all times.
- You don’t need to worry about losing your card as it is virtual and cannot be misplaced.
- E-Aadhaar card is a universal identity card that can be procured by all Indian citizens. It serves as a proof of identity as well as address, unlike most other documents.
- To avail various subsidies made available by the Government of India, such as LPG subsidy, applicants must provide their Aadhaar card.
- If you have your Aadhaar card with you, getting crucial documents like passports becomes super simple.
- You can also open bank accounts by using your Aadhaar card.
How To Check Aadhaar Card Update Status?
Upon applying for change/update in your Aadhaar card details on the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal, here are the steps you need to follow:
- You need to enter a few details to check the status.
- First, enter your Aadhar number, which is a 12-digit number that can be found on your card.
- Then, you need to enter the URN. This number was given to you when you applied for the change online.
- Click ‘Get Status’.
- Your update status will appear on the screen.
What Can You Change In Your Aadhaar Card?
The Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal lets you change the following details:
- O.B (Date of Birth)
- Mobile Number (Registered with your Aadhaar number)
To change/update any other details you need to access the Aadhaar card website, download the form and submit it with adequate documents at an Aadhaar enrolment centre close to your home.
Additional Reading: All About Linking Aadhaar To Your Mobile Number
What Do You Need For Aadhaar Card Updation?
In order to update details on your Aadhaar Card, here’s a list of things you need:
- Aadhaar card number
- The mobile number linked to your Aadhaar Card number (since you’ll get the OTP).
- Documents verifying any changes you wish to make in your Aadhaar card. For example, if you need to change your last name after you get married, you need your wedding certificate registration and other proof of change of name so that the details can be verified before any alteration.
This is pretty much all you need to know about e-Aadhaar. Need more on money management, personal finance and various financial products? We have everything you need.