If there’s one thing that cyclones and floods have taught us, it is that we must take extra care of our four-wheelers. Read on to learn more.
Natural disasters such as cyclones and floods bring about a downpour of woes for your car. Roads usually get waterlogged and this eventually leads to engine seizures, electrical failure, etc.
So, you must take necessary precautions to keep your vehicle (and yourself) safe and secure before such calamities strike. And the best way to protect your car is by getting a comprehensive Car Insurance.
Additional Reading: A Guide To Car Insurance: Here’s What You Should Know
Handy Tips If You’re On The Road During A Cyclone Or Flood
- Do not try to start your car if it has stalled. Cranking the car engine repeatedly can lead to irreparable damage to it. In such a situation, it is better you leave your car and have it towed.
- If you’re driving in water, it is better to keep the central locking system of your car unlocked. Leave the windows slightly open too, especially if they are power-operated. Wondering why? Electrical failure and too much water pressure can trap you inside your car. There have been a lot of asphyxiation-related deaths reported due to this.
- Keep important phone numbers – family, insurer, towing services, mechanic, etc. – handy in case of emergency.
We’d suggest that you don’t drive if the water level on the road rises above your vehicle’s tyres. It is best that you park your car in a safe place and ring your insurer.
Additional Reading: How Does Car Insurance Work In India?
Ideal Car Insurance Covers To Invest In
If you stay in a vulnerable zone, you must equip yourself with one of these Car Insurance plans.
Additional Reading: Buying a car insurance policy online is as easy as ABC. See for yourself!
You can choose either the Bajaj Allianz Standard or the Bajaj Allianz Flexible (Drive Assure) cover. The features include:
- Basic coverage for the vehicle, driver and third-party damages
- Roadside assistance in case of breakdown – flat tyre, dead battery, fuel problems, towing, etc. Assistance is free, however, you’ll have to pay for the service
- Loss/damage to vehicle
- Lockout/lost-key assistance. However, you’ll have to pay for the replacement key (if required) and service charges
- Personal accident cover for the insured driver travelling in the car
With Bajaj Allianz Flexible (Drive Assure), you’ll get a depreciation cover and an engine protection cover in addition to the above-mentioned.
TATA AIG General Insurance Company Limited
TATA AIG Car Insurance provides coverage for the car, its driver and all third-party damages. You can choose between three options – Auto Secure Private Car Package Policy (Gold), Auto Secure Private Car Package Policy (Pearl), or Auto Secure Private Car Package Policy (Pearl Plus).
- Third-party liability cover
- Personal accident cover for the insured car driver in case of accident leading to death or disability
- Flat tyre, lockout/lost key, emergency fuel assistance
- Assistance for on-road repairs and towing service. The cost of service to be borne by you
- Damage to vehicle or loss of vehicle is covered
Apart from these features, the Pearl package comes with a depreciation cover and the Pearl Plus package comes with a depreciation cover and an engine protector cover.
Royal Sundaram Car Shield
This insurance policy provides great protection for your vehicle.
- Up to 7.5 lakhs for third-party damages with the third-party liability cover
- Complete coverage for theft or loss of car, and towards damages to the car
- Get free on-road repair assistance. The insurer provides assistance for flat tyre, emergency fuel, towing, dead battery, etc.
- Personal accident cover
Additional Reading: Top Car Insurance Plans In India
Choose from HDFC Ergo Basic plan, HDFC Ergo Silver plan or HDFC Ergo Emergency Assistance plan. The list of features include:
- Third-party liability cover
- Coverage for loss of vehicle or damage to vehicle
- Free on-road assistance – dead battery, emergency fuel, towing service, flat tyre and more
- Lost-key assistance/Lockout assistance
- Personal accident cover for insured driver
- Depreciation cover (available only with the Silver plan)
Do note that the basic plan offers only third-party liability cover, personal accident cover and loss/damage to vehicle coverage.
Liberty insurance lets you choose between Liberty Private Car Policy and Liberty Private Car Policy (Roadside Assistance). The former insurance policy is a basic plan which offers personal accident coverage, third-party liability coverage and loss/damage to vehicle coverage only.
The Liberty Private Car Policy (Roadside Assistance) provides free on-road assistance which includes assistance in case of loss of key/lockout situation, emergency fuel, dead battery, flat-tyre, towing, etc. Only the assistance is free, the insured has to bear the costs attached with the service.
P.S. All the insurance policies mentioned above offer a variety of extra covers or add-ons. More information is available on the BankBazaar site. Also, do keep in mind that the features mentioned are subject to change.
Looking for other Car Insurance product? Just click the link below to browse through our list of Car Insurance providers and choose the one that suits you best.