Making plans for travelling abroad but passport about to expire? Here’s a quick guide on how you can renew your passport without a fuss.
If you have plans of travelling abroad anytime soon, checking your passport for its validity should be the first thing on your to-do list. In fact, regardless of whether you’re travelling abroad, you should get your passport renewed anyway. A passport in India serves as an important identity, address and age proof and is valid for only 10 years before it expires. Thus, a valid passport serves more than just the purpose of getting through immigration in a foreign country.
How To Do Passport Renewal in India?
There are 5 major steps to passport renewal application for applicants who wish to apply online, make the payment and book an appointment.
- You will need to register for passport renewal on the Passport Seva website.
- If you have already registered, you can login using the link “Existing User. Login”.
- If you are new to the website, click on “New User? Register Now”.
- Select the passport office closest to you based on your current address.
- To register, you will need to provide your basic details that include your name and date of birth.
- Create a login ID and password, set a hint question and register.
- You will then receive a mail to the email ID that you have provided.
- Activate your account using the link in the email.
- Once you have logged in to your passport account, click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”.
Additional reading: Travelling Soon? Don’t Forget To Pack Travel Insurance!
Filling the application:
- There are two options for filling the available form:
-Download the PDF version of the form and upload it later.
-Fill in the form online.
- Fill in your current address.
- Update your details in case you need to change your spouse details etc.
- You will need to provide two local references. Provide their full name, address and phone number. In case of police verification, these people will be contacted. For online forms, you can click on submit to complete the application.
- If you are using the PDF version of the form, note that when you enter your city or village, you must hit validate and save the form. You will then need to upload this document to the same page where you downloaded it from. The details will automatically be entered in the online form. Verify all your details as you won’t be able to change them after this step. You can then submit your application.
- You can view your saved/submitted application by going back to “Applicant Home”.
Payment of passport renewal fee:
- For passport renewal, no fee is required.
- Those applying for a passport for the first time can avail two options:
- Online payment using Credit Card/Debit Card/Internet Banking.
- Challan payment via payment in cash at any SBI branch.
- Click on ‘Schedule Appointment’.
- Select an available slot which is convenient for you. You may also be given the option to choose which passport office you’d prefer to visit.
- Once you have confirmed your preferred slot, your appointment will be scheduled.
Additional reading: Cheap Flights From Mumbai To Various Destinations Around The Globe
Visiting the passport office:
Once you’ve scheduled the appointment, take a print out of your application receipt. Remember to carry all requested documents and the application receipt along with you when you visit the passport office. At the passport office, you will be assigned a group number before the application process begins. If you sign up for SMS service, you will receive updates on your passport status. Once you have successfully completed the process and submitted all the required documents, the validity will be changed on the passport. The same booklet will be returned to you.
Documents Required For Passport Renewal Online:
The Passport Seva website has a Document Advisor for renewal of passport. You need to select your details for ‘renew’ and a list of documents required will be generated. Remember to carry a copy of your application. This document is mandatory for online passport application. You will need to carry the following documents:
- Original old passport.
- Self-attested copy of the first two and last two pages.
- A self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self-attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by Passport Issuing Authority.
- A self-attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport.
- Proof of documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
Additional reading: How To Plan Your Finances For An International Trip
Wondering what Short Validity Passports are? Let’s find out.
What is Short Validity Passport (SVP)?
Short validity passports are issued in certain cases like the following:
- Students appearing for exams like SAT, TOEFL, etc.
- Indians residing abroad who wish to travel to India.
- Non-delivery of passport due to loss in transit.
- Applicant has a criminal case pending in court.
Very often people are known to confuse renewal with re-issue of passport, sometimes using them interchangeably. But they are different. Let’s find out how:
Renewal: One needs to renew his/her passport in the event he/she has a passport that was issued for a short validity that could be from 1 to 5 years, and he/she needs to extend the validity of the passport up to the full 10 years. For renewal, one will need to carry one’s old passport. The number will remain the same, only the validity will change. The same old passport will be returned as the renewed passport.
Re-issue: A re-issue of passport takes place when one needs a completely new passport. One will receive a new booklet and a new passport number. Passports are re-issued under the following circumstances:
- Expired or about to expire passport.
- Lost passport.
- Stolen passport.
- Exhaustion of pages.
- Damaged or soiled passports.
- Change in personal details.
Passport renewal shouldn’t be a task with this ready reckoner by your side. But if cash troubles are ruining your chances of foreign travel, have you checked out our Credit Cards that offer great travel and cashback rewards?