What a crazy year it’s been! The pandemic is far from over. However, travelling is starting again. Here’s all you need to know about travel insurance!
Travel insurance is more important than ever now and it’s high time you considered it before travelling. Thanks to the increasing competition between insurance companies, and a lot of them being around, the procedure for making claims has become very easy.
While there are a lot of things you need to consider while travelling abroad, the most crucial one is a protection cover against accidents and illnesses. Don’t worry! Travel insurance gives you exactly that.
Additional Reading: Post COVID-19: What Will Travel Look Like?
What is Travel Insurance?
An insurance cover intended to cover medical and financial expenses (such as money invested in non-refundable pre-payments) and other losses incurred while travelling (both domestic and internationally). Travel insurance generally covers the following:
- Trip cancellation/interruption
- Medical emergency
- Events like delay or missed departure
- Delayed arrival or loss of baggage
- Passport loss and legal expenses and much more
Additional Reading: What To Do With Your Travel Fund If COVID-19 Has Derailed Your Trip
What Is The Eligibility Criteria?
Travel Insurance can be taken by anyone irrespective of whether they are a first time or a frequent flyer and are going on a single or multiple trip.
What Does It Cover?
The most common risks that are covered by travel insurance include:
- Medical expenses
- Emergency evacuation/repatriation
- Overseas funeral expenses
- Accidental death, injury or disablement benefit
- Delayed departure
- Loss, theft or damage to personal possessions and money (including travel documents)
- Delayed baggage (and emergency replacement of essential items)
- Legal assistance
- Personal liability and rental car damage excess
Additional Reading: Is Credit Card Travel Insurance Enough For You?
What Is Excluded In The Coverage?
Things that are not a part of this coverage include medical expenses arising out of:
- Pre-existing conditions except in case of life-threatening situations
- Addiction to alcohol, drugs
- Mental disorder, anxiety, depression
- Venereal diseases
- Sexually transmitted diseases, AIDS, HIV
- Radiation, nuclear weapons induced
- Sporting activities
- Loss of passport in public place
- Expenses arising out of loss of valuables, money, securities, and tickets
What Is The Premium Like?
Your travel insurance premium generally depends on which part of the world you are travelling to and the duration of your stay. Most of the times, the premium for travelling to the US and Canada is different from travelling to the rest of the world.
How Do I Make Claims For The Reimbursement Of Expenses Covered?
The best part about this is that the process is very simple. Just call up the toll free number of your insurance service provider and register your claim. They will tell you about the documents needed to be submitted to process your claim. A Third Party Administrator (TPA) will then validate your documents and will process your claim.
What Are The Tips For Buying Travel Insurance?
- Don’t buy travel insurance only till the last day of your trip. Take into account emergencies that might occur during your return too. It’s always better to be prepared for such eventualities.
- While comparing travel insurance products, ensure that you not only compare the prices, but also the benefits, exclusions etc.
- Check availability of different covers – terrorism cover, hijack distress allowance, etc. – apart from the normal coverage provided by travel insurance.
- Always read the policy document carefully and get your doubts clarified.
Additional Reading: Trip Planning Secrets Of Top Travel Bloggers – Revealed
While travel is slowly getting back to normal, despite the pandemic still raging, it’s all the more better to be prepared if you’re going to be travelling now or in the coming months. And, one of the best ways to secure yourself for any travel mishaps is by getting yourself a travel insurance.
Need a perfect travel companion? It’s time you explore some classy Travel Credit Card offers!