Quit Your Job? Here’s How To Withdraw Your PF And EPS Money

By | May 16, 2019

In the hurry of shifting jobs, most individuals forget to transfer their Provident Fund (PF). While this wasn’t a problem earlier, things might change now. Read on to know why.


The phase between quitting and joining a new job can be quite tiring. There are a bunch of organisational formalities that demand your attention all at the same time. In the rush of joining a new company, most individuals forget or hold off on transferring their Provident Fund (PF) from their previous employer to their new one knowing well that their funds are safe with the Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) and will continue to earn tax-free returns. While this is true, things are about to change soon.

Check This: Tax-free Fixed Deposits

In November 2017, the Bengaluru bench of the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT) ruled out the tax exemption on the interest earned after an employee has quit. Thus, in order to avoid tax, you will either have to transfer your PF balance to your new employer or withdraw the amount at the earliest post the exit.

Additional reading: Linking Of Aadhaar To EPF: A Step By Step Guide

After quitting a job, such accounts remain functional and continue earning interest every year. This is true even though there are no new contributions to your PF account. The PF balance as on the date of exit from an organisation continues to be tax-exempt. But the interest earned on the balance thereafter will be taxable in the year of withdrawal. Remember, it’s only the amount of interest that one’s PF account is earning during the out-of-job period which will attract tax. To avoid tax, you should consider getting your PF balance transferred to the new employer.

In this kind of a scenario, you have two possible alternatives- either withdraw your PF amount or continue earning taxable PF interest. Let’s take a look at the process of withdrawing your PF balance.

When can you withdraw PF balance?

As per the EPF Act, in order to claim final PF settlement, one has to retire from service after attaining 58 years of age. The total PF balance includes the employee’s contribution and that of the employer, along with accrued interest. Moreover, depending on the years of service, one is eligible to get the Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS) amount as well. Individuals who quit their jobs before reaching 58 years of age can withdraw the full PF balance (and the EPS amount depending on the years of service) if he is out of employment for 60 straight days (or more) after leaving a job.

Planning to withdraw your PF? How about investing your money in Fixed Deposits? Click here to know more.

Along with the PF, one is also allowed to withdraw the EPS amount if the service period has been less than 10 years and not later on. Once this milestone is crossed, the employee compulsorily gets pension benefits after retirement.

Additional reading: When And How Can You Withdraw From Your EPF?

In order to ease the process of making PF withdrawals, transfers, advances and other related payments, the EPFO has launched a ‘composite form’. However, before getting started on the PF withdrawal process, it’s important that you merge all your PF accounts under your UAN. For withdrawal purposes, the total service in your previous organisation only will be taken into account. So, it’s advisable to merge your accounts under your UAN.

The withdrawal process

Withdrawal of PF becomes easier and less time consuming if you have your Aadhaar number with you. We will, however, take you through both the processes of withdrawal- with and without Aadhaar.

Withdrawal without using Aadhaar number 

In case you don’t have an Aadhaar but have the PF number, you can use the Composite Claim Form (Non-Aadhaar) on the EPF website.

You will have to furnish your Permanent Account Number (PAN) if the total service period is less than five years. Also attach two copies of Form 15G/15H, if applicable. In case the Universal Account Number (UAN) is not available, you can mention only the PF account number.

Withdrawal using Aadhaar card number 

You can submit a Composite Claim Form (Aadhaar) directly to the concerned EPFO office without attestation of the claim form by the employers. You will receive your PF balance in your bank account. So remember to attach a cancelled cheque along with the form.

Additional reading: Combining Multiple EPF Accounts Through UAN

Before proceeding, ensure the following things:

  • You have submitted complete details in Form 11 (New) to your employer.
  • Your Aadhaar card number and bank account details are available on the UAN portal.
  • The UAN has been activated.

The withdrawal process will be based on these conditions. See which one caters to you and choose the form accordingly.

Condition Form applicable
Below 10 years of service Withdrawing PF balance plus EPS amount (Composite Claim Form Aadhaar/Non-Aadhaar)
Over 10 years of service Withdrawing PF balance plus EPS amount (Composite Claim Form Aadhaar/Non-Aadhaar)
Age 50-58; over 10 years of service Withdrawing PF balance only and reduced pension (Form 10D)
After 58; not completed 10 years of eligible service Withdrawing PF balance only and full pension (Composite Claim Form Aadhaar/Non-Aadhaar)

Note: PF= Provident Fund | EPS = Employees’ Pension Scheme

Let’s take each of these conditions one by one.

Withdrawing PF balance plus EPS amount (for below ten years of service)

You will receive both your PF balance and the EPS amount if your service period has been less than 10 years. To get the EPS amount, in the Composite Claim Form (Aadhaar or Non-Aadhaar), along with choosing ‘Final PF balance’, also choose the ‘Pension Withdrawal’ option. If you plan on re-joining the workforce, you may opt to get the ‘Scheme Certificate’ by furnishing Form 10 C.

Withdrawing PF balance plus EPS amount (over 10 years of service) 

The EPS amount cannot be withdrawn if you have over 10 years of service. Only the scheme certificate is to be issued by filling Form 10C along with the Composite Claim Form (Aadhaar or Non-Aadhaar). A pension is to be paid from age 58 while a reduced pension can be paid from age 50. One may opt for early pension (reduced proportionately) after 50 years, provided one has completed 10 years of service.

Withdrawing PF balance and reduced pension (age 50-58) (over ten years of service)

You can only get a pension after turning 50 years of age and have rendered at least 10 years of service. If your service period has more than 10 years and you are between the age of 50 and 58, you may opt for a reduced pension. For this, one has to submit Form 10D along with the Composite Claim Form (Aadhaar or Non-Aadhaar).

Withdrawing PF balance and full pension (After 58)

After 58, you have to submit the same Form 10D to claim the full pension.

Additional Reading: How To Withdraw Your EPF Without Your Employer’s Signature

Post-budget new EPF rules to incentivise female employment:

During the Budget 2018 speech, the government announced that to incentivise more female employment in the formal sector and to enable higher take-home wages, it will make changes in the Employees’ Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952. This change will reduce women employees’ contribution to 8% for the first 3 years of their employment against the existing rate of 12% or 10% with no change in employers’ contribution.

Latest PF withdrawal rules 2017-18:

  • All withdrawals made before completion of 5 years of continuous service are subject to tax. Withdrawals after completion of 5 years of continuous service in the EPF are tax-free.
  • If in case the employee loses his job or has to quit as a result of ill-health and so on, withdrawals will not attract tax.
  • If the employee makes a withdrawal before the completion of 5 continuous years in the scheme, the principal amount, as well as the interest accrued, is subject to tax. That said, the amount will be taxable in the current financial year.
  • If an individual withdraws before the completion of 5 continuous years towards the scheme, the principal amount and the interest accrued on it will attract a tax of 30% if he/she has not submitted their PAN to the EPFO authorities. If the employee has submitted his/her PAN details to the EPFO authorities, 10% TDS (tax deducted from source) will be applicable.
  • Funds transferred from one’s PF account towards the National Pension Scheme (NPS) will not attract tax when one makes a withdrawal.
  • If the employee shifts jobs and in the process has different PF accounts, he will still be in continuous service to the scheme as long as there has been no gap in contributions.
  • Employees have to facilitate the use of the Composite Claims Form to make a partial withdrawal or a final settlement claim.
  • If the employee has seeded his/her Aadhaar card details with their UAN, they can submit the Composite Claims Form to make a withdrawal directly to the EPFO without the requirement of the attestation of their employer. Those who have not seeded their Aadhaar card details with their UAN have to submit the Composite Claims Form with the attestation of their employer to make a withdrawal.

Latest PF Rules:

In an office memo dated April 12, 2019, the Ministry of Labour and Employment has amended the guidelines of the Pradhan Mantri Rojgar Protsahan Yojana (PMRPY). As per the new guidelines, the Government of India will now contribute to the employer’s full admissible contribution for the first three years from the date of registration of the new employee for all sectors. Moreover, the government will pay the EPF contribution for existing beneficiaries for their remaining period of three years. Employees who have joined on or after 1st April 2016, having a Universal Account Number (UAN) with salary up to Rs. 15,000 per month, are covered under this scheme.

The contribution that the employer makes is 12 per cent of basic wages plus dearness allowance plus retaining allowance. An equal contribution is payable by the employee also. In the case of establishments which employ less than 20 employees or meet certain other conditions, as per the EPFO rules, the contribution rate for both employee and the employer is limited to 10 per cent.

Since PF is a kind of forced savings, it is advisable to transfer your PF balance when you switch jobs. If you are considering quitting service to start your own business, you can transfer the entire balance in your EPF account to the National Pension Scheme.

Looking for more ways to save and invest for your future? We can help.

All information including news articles and blogs published on this website are strictly for general information purpose only. BankBazaar does not provide any warranty about the authenticity and accuracy of such information. BankBazaar will not be held responsible for any loss and/or damage that arises or is incurred by use of such information. Rates and offers as may be applicable at the time of applying for a product may vary from that mentioned above. Please visit www.bankbazaar.com for the latest rates/offers.

20 thoughts on “Quit Your Job? Here’s How To Withdraw Your PF And EPS Money

  1. Vinayak Patil

    I applied Pf online. I got pf amount. But I ddnt apply pension. Now I m trying to apply pension amount it’s not showing in online. This shows claim settled. How can I apply pension amount.? I have experience less than 10 years. Plz drop msg me. 9886797333

    1. Team BankBazaar

      Hi Vinayak Patil,

      You can apply for the EPS in the same way as you applied for the EPF. In the withdrawal form, EPS withdrawal will be mentioned.

      Team BankBazaar


    Sir if my employer does not approved my kyc than can i withdraw my epf and eps amount will be withdraw from my epf account online method.

    1. Team BankBazaar


      You can withdraw your EPF Amount using UAN forms (without employer signature) if your UAN is activated with your KYC details like Aadhaar and Bank Account Details. If you have not activated the UAN then you cannot withdraw your EPF without employer signature.

      Team BankBazaar

  3. Harsh

    I have transferred my pf form previous employer to current employer. But EPS does not get transferred. If i want to withdraw eps amount of my previous employer then how can i do that?

    1. Team BankBazaar

      Hi Harsh,

      Thanks for stopping by.
      If your service period is less than 10 years, both PF balance and the EPS amount will be paid. To get the EPS amount, in the Composite Claim Form (Aadhaar or Non-Aadhaar), after choosing ‘Final PF balance’, also choose the ‘pension withdrawal’ option.

      Team BankBazaar

      1. piyush


        I have completed 6 years and switching my job .

        My EPF running Balance is 5 lakhs .
        My EPS contribution per year is 15,000 so for 6 years EPS contribution becomes 105000 .
        I am joining new organization and so I cannot withdraw my EPF.
        I am transferring my EPF to new employer so 5 lakhs would be transferred .
        I have not completed 10 years so i would not be given “Scheme Certificate “. what happens to my EPS money ?
        If it cannot be transferred then how to withdraw it to my bank account?

        Best Regards,

        1. Team BankBazaar

          Hi Piyush,

          Thanks for writing to us. While transferring EPF from one establishment to another, the service details (like length of service, non-contributory period, and last wages drawn, etc.) are furnished to the EPF office in annexure-K, which will be used to calculate pension benefits. The amount in your pension fund is not required. We hope this helps!

          Team BankBazaar

  4. Vivek

    Hi Team,

    I am moving job and would like to only transfer my PF fund and withdraw my EPS as my tenure is less than 10 years. How can i withdraw only EPS and transfer PF to the new company?

    Thank you,

    1. Team BankBazaar

      Hi Vivek,

      Thanks for writing to us. Your EPF will remain under your UAN. Provide the UAN to your employer and you can withdraw EPS only with your EPF. We hope this will be of help to you.

      Team BankBazaar

    1. Team BankBazaar

      Hi Vivek,

      Thanks for stopping by. You cannot withdraw EPS alone. You have to withdraw both EPF and EPS.

      Team BankBazaar

  5. jayaram

    How to get transfer from exempted P.F. amount to un-exempted P.F. account

    1. Team BankBazaar

      Hi Jayaram,

      Thanks for writing in. Exempted organisations are those which manage the PF by themselves while un-exempted are those maintained by the EPFO. In order to transfer your PF balance from an exempted to an un-exempted organisation, you must apply to the respective Trust for transfer of the PF. Here are the steps you need to follow!
      1. Go to the EPFO members’ portal and log in using your UAN and password.
      2. Verify that all your details are populated in the UAN portal. No missing or incorrect information.
      3. Please check that your Bank Account Number and IFSC code are correct.
      4. Click on Online Services->One Member One EPF (Transfer Request).
      5. Fill up the Transfer Claim Form – Form 13 (Revised).
      6. The Employee has to get his claim attested by the current or the previous employer.
      7. A PIN will be generated and sent to your registered mobile number.
      8. Submit the claim form to the selected employer. The employer should approve the request.
      You can easily check the status of your EPF transfer claim by clicking on Online Services->Track Claim Status. After submitting the form within 2-3 weeks your EPF account will be transferred. After the successful claim, UAN passbook of the old and new employer will reflect the transfer. We hope this addresses your concern.

      Team BankBazaar

  6. Karthik

    Hi, my wife quit her job last May permanently as she didn’t want to work in a company any more.
    She had worked for about 4.5 years before she quit her job.
    Now, we are trying to withdraw the PF money. She is using the composite claim form (Aadhaar) for this purpose.
    I have the following questions:
    1. None of the purposes of PF advance field (7A) in the form is matching the case. Should This field be left blank?
    2. Will the 4.5 years be rounded off to 5 years? Should She also fill form 15G for tax deduction?


    1. Team BankBazaar

      Hi Karthik,

      Yes, you can leave the PF advance field blank if it’s not applicable to you. She will need to furnish Form 15G for tax deduction if her estimated tax liability for the current financial year is NIL, otherwise not. And no, in the case of PF withdrawal, 4.5 years will not be rounded off to 5 years.

      Team BankBazaar

  7. D.Suvarna

    Hello sir
    I worked in a school 9 years . I withdraw my pf amount. Now i want to withdraw my EPS also. How to withdraw my EPS balance now. Please help me sir.

    1. Team BankBazaar

      Hi Suvarna,

      Individuals are eligible to receive pension once they have completed 10 years of service. However, you must attain the age of 50 years or 58 years to withdraw the pension amount. Hope this helps.

      Team BankBazaar


    HI TEAM,

    1. Team BankBazaar

      Hi Abhishek,

      You can withdraw directly from your old PF account by raising an online claim on the EPFO website.

      Team BankBazaar


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *