Choosing the right destination will ensure that your wedding is unique and fun-filled. You also need to know how much it will cost you. Here are the answers!
A rad wedding is more talked about than a grand one. Any wedding that is different as well as enjoyable is remembered by everyone including the bride and groom. The best way to ensure a memorable wedding is to arrange it all away from the hustle and bustle of the cities. What should you do?
Get those Personal Loans and Credit Cards in case you don’t have enough money. Choose an exotic destination and combine the wedding with a vacation for your guests. Don’t know where to go? There are several such destinations in India. Here are the top 5:
There is something about weddings and beaches that make them fun and memorable. Goa is one of the best places where you can mix rituals, sand, sun, and water to create that perfect setting for your wedding. It is also the perfect place for your pre-wedding photoshoots. Beach cocktails for the reception are very popular here.
- Best Resorts – Some of the most popular wedding resorts include the Grand Hyatt Resort, Park Hyatt Resort & Spa, and Marriott Resort & Spa. These are all close to the beach and will cost you upwards of Rs. 11,000 per night. If you want something on the inexpensive side, the Ramada Caravela Resort and Holiday Inn are good choices.
- Tip: To reduce costs, book your guests into a hotel that is inexpensive. Most hotels will arrange transport for your guests to the wedding venue for free if you have 50 or more staying with them.
- Best Time – Even though Goa can be enjoyed all year round, November to January is a pleasant time with not much heat. If you want a rainy wedding, have it between June and September.
- Points To Note – Monsoons are very heavy here and if you have an outdoor wedding in the June-September season, your wedding could become a washout. The resorts are usually quite far away from each other. If you are transporting guests, keep that in mind. Most resorts don’t allow outdoor parties after 10 PM.
Additional Reading: Go For A Cashless Wedding
If you have always been fascinated with fairy tales, then this is the place for you. With its imposing palaces and forts, Udaipur would make an excellent setting for a luxury wedding. Lakeside weddings are very popular here with the groom making a grand entrance in a boat rather than on a horse!
- Best Resorts – High-class hotels here include the Taj Lake Palace, Leela Palace, Oberoi Udaivilas and Lalit Laxmi Vilas. Most of the villa hotels are lake-facing here and rates are more than Rs. 20,000 per night. If you want to go for ones that cost lower than Rs. 10,000 per night, consider Trident Udaipur, Ramada Udaipur Resort & Spa, and Amantra Comfort Hotel.
- Tip: For most of the hotels in Udaipur, booking at least 6 months in advance will help you cut costs by half. Also, hotels in the city are in narrow lanes and transport is not easily available unless you arrange for it earlier.
- Best Time – Since Udaipur is a sunny place, you can enjoy the best weather in the August-October quarter without feeling the heat. January to March is also a good time if you are planning to have an evening ceremony near the lake.
- Points To Note – Udaipur palace hotels need you to book a minimum number of rooms if you are going to host an event at the hotel. It will be cost-effective to choose a resort built as a palace rather than choosing an actual palace as the wedding spot. This is because you will be paying rent for the palace as well as the hotel where you stay.
Additional Reading: 11 Tips To Plan A Royal Wedding
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
An island wedding is possibly the most romantic of all weddings and the Andaman & Nicobar Islands provide you with the right climate for that. Coconut palm beaches and rocky shores are popular in these islands. If you want something more unique, try the cruise wedding and the underwater wedding here!
- Best Resorts – Havelock Island and The Ross are the best places to host weddings. There are several other resorts here. Silver Sand Beach Resort, Seashell Havelock, Barefoot at Havelock and Munjoh Ocean Resort are the popular ones and will cost you about Rs. 10,000 per night. For the budget-conscious, there are resorts such as the Symphony Palms Beach Resort, Sea Princess Port Blair and Dolphin Resort.
- Tip: Off-season hotel rates (May to September) are considerably lower even if booked a few months in advance. Also, hotels help you arrange candlelight dinners for your reception if the crowd is small.
- Best Time – January-March, as well as October-December, are the peak seasons here with no rain. You could consider May-July but note that monsoons here are very windy and outdoor weddings might turn out to be something of a ‘blowout’!
- Points To Note – There are ferries and catamarans from Port Blair to Havelock every day. Ferries are inexpensive while catamarans are costly but faster. If you decide to host your guests in Port Blair, note the timings of these boats and decide how much you are willing to spend on transport. Also, note that it gets dark very early in the Islands and you should be calling it a night early if you have an outdoor wedding in the evening.
Additional Reading: How Much Will Your Wedding Cost?
The Pink City with its palaces and forts is the right place for those looking for a grand wedding. Marriage rituals, sight-seeing and shopping can be easily combined here for a memorable wedding day. Here, cultural plays and concerts are popular additions to wedding receptions.
- Best Resorts – Jai Mahal Palace, The Raj Palace Grand Heritage Hotel and Samode Palace, & Haveli are preferred by those who want a luxurious wedding. If you are on a budget, consider ITC Rajputana, Trident Jaipur, Four Points by Sheraton and Hotel Royal Orchid.
- Tip: Enquire about outdoor spaces before booking the hotel if you want an outdoor wedding with large groups. This is because some of the hotels in the city have cramped spaces. Also, enquire if there are other weddings taking place at the same time because sometimes, the hotels overbook and refuse rooms despite booking.
- Best Time – Anywhere between October and February is the best time to host weddings in Jaipur. March to April should be avoided as the temperatures soar and summer showers are very heavy during this period here.
- Points To Note – The local traffic is very bad especially during special festivals such as the kite festival in January. So, ensure that you arrange for transportation well in advance. You could also consider hosting your guests in Delhi and having them drive down to lower costs.
Additional Reading: Gold Loans Or Loan Against Property: Which One Works Better?
Be it Kumarakom, Alleppey or Kovalam, Kerala is the best place to have water-theme weddings. House-boat weddings and beach-front ceremonies are popular here. If you want something different, try a hill-station wedding in Munnar that has many spice gardens.
- Best Resorts – Popular resorts for weddings in Kerala include The Zuri Kumarakom, Leela Kovalam, Kumarakom Lake Resort and Punnamada Resort Alappuzha. The Poovar Island Resort and Vedic Village Resort can be considered by those who are looking for accommodation for less than Rs. 10,000 a night.
- Tip: Beach resorts have more private spaces as opposed to backwater resorts. The hotels will arrange for elephants for the wedding on request. Bargain for free spa treatments at resorts if you have a huge crowd and you may get them at least for the bride and groom.
- Best Time – All-year-round. However, October to March is a good time for outdoor weddings. Backwater weddings are best avoided during the rainy season which is June to September.
- Points To Note – Direct flight connectivity from North India is an issue, especially if you are hosting weddings in places like Munnar. Also, arranging North Indian cuisine, especially Marwari for the wedding is a bit tough.
Additional Reading: Personal Loans That Give You Tax Benefits
Get Your Finances Right
Arranging a wedding is easier said than done. A significant sum of money needs to be spent to ensure that everything falls in place on the wedding day. For this, you need to have your finances in order. Ideally, you should save for the wedding. In case you haven’t, there are two financial products that can help – travel Credit Cards and Personal Loans.
Personal Loan – Consider a Personal Loan only if you have exhausted other options such as liquidating your Fixed Deposits. Choose a loan with low/no penalty for foreclosure and pre-payment. If you take a Personal Loan, ensure that you pay it back quickly. This is because usually, couples spend a lot of money during their initial years of marriage including splurging on a new car, setting up house and so forth. So, it is important to rein in your liabilities before things get out of hand.
Additional Reading: How To Choose a Personal Loan
Travel Credit Card – Travel Credit Cards come with benefits such as discounts on travel and hotel bookings. This is useful for destination weddings. Some cards also provide free air tickets when you enroll. Credit Cards are good if you want to pay later but use your card responsibly. Note that every late payment will be negative on your Credit Score. Also, running up a huge bill will mean high credit utilisation – another negative for your Credit Score.