Checking the status of your PAN card is now super easy! Want to know how to do it? Read on.
PAN or Permanent Account Number is a 10-digit alphanumeric account number which is issued by the Income Tax (I-T) department under the supervision of the Central Board for Direct Taxes (CBDT). A PAN card, which serves as an identity proof, is one among the many mandatory documents in India.
It is a must that every tax-paying Indian citizen holds a PAN card. All financial transactions carried out by an individual – be it opening a bank account, filing taxes, buying a house, etc. – require quoting his/her PAN. Also, PAN is a great tool to keep track of all the tax-related information of individuals.
If you don’t have a PAN card or you’ve lost yours, then it is important that you apply for one as soon as possible. It’s pretty simple!
How To Apply For A PAN Card
You can apply either online or offline.
- Visit TIN NSDL (tin-nsdl.com/services/pan/pan-index.html) or UTIITSL (www.utiitsl.com/UTIITSL_SITE/pan/) website.
- You’ll find the option to apply for a new PAN card. Click on it.
- Fill the Form 49A.
- Pay the applicable charges.
- Submit the form.
- You will get a 15-digit unique acknowledgement number (or application coupon number on UTIITSL) on submission. This will be useful for tracking the status of your application.
- Print the acknowledgement form.
- Sign wherever applicable.
- Affix photographs, ID proof and address proof.
- Send this form along with the documents to any designated NSDL or UTIITSL office within 15 days of submitting the online form.
- You will receive your PAN card within 15 working days.
Nowadays you can even e-sign Form 49A using Digital Signature, Aadhaar-based e-sign or the e-KYC option using your Aadhaar.
Still confused about the PAN application process? Here’s a comprehensive article on how to apply for a PAN – How To Apply For A PAN Card.
If you prefer doing things the traditional way, you can visit a nearby PAN centre or get in touch with an agent.
Additional Reading: PAN Card For Minors: Everything You Need to Know
How To Track Your PAN Status
So, you’ve applied for a PAN card but you have no idea about the status of your application. Don’t worry! Here’s how you can check the status of your application based on the portal you’ve applied through:
Check PAN Status – NSDL Applicants
If you’ve applied via the NSDL portal, you can easily check your PAN status via SMS. Type ‘NSDLPAN<space>15-digit acknowledgement number’ and send it to 57575. You will receive an SMS with the status of your PAN application.
Via Web Portal
You can also check the status of your PAN application on the NSDL portal (https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pantan/StatusTrack.html).
Select the type of application – PAN – New/Change Request. Enter your 15-digit acknowledgement number. Enter the captcha code and then click Submit to check the status of your PAN card.
Check PAN Status – UTIITSL Applicants
If you’ve applied via the UTIITSL portal, then you can easily check your PAN card status by visiting www.trackpan.utiitsl.com/PANONLINE/#forward.
Enter your application coupon number and the captcha code. Then click Submit to track your application status.
You can call the NSDL or UTIITSL customer care department to check on your PAN status too.
Simple, isn’t it?