As the Government gears up to make FASTag mandatory by December 1, 2019, here’s your chance to fuel up on all things FASTag so you can get a headstart.
Ever wanted to make those winding toll booth queues vanish into thin air while cruising on a highway? Well, it looks like the Government has heard you – here’s FASTag to the rescue!
FASTag – you’ve probably seen its stickers or banners on a toll plaza somewhere while you were waiting in line to pay your toll charge as time seemed to stand still. Few of us may already know what FASTag is and how it works, but some may not. Nevertheless, here’s all the info you need to get geared up for the change. Engines on? 3…2…1…let’s go!
What Is FASTag?
It’s an easy-to-use tag that facilitates the automation of toll booth payments, thus saving you from the hassle of waiting in line to pay the toll booth fee in cash while you come up with innovative curse words to describe that one person ahead of you who seems to be taking so long just to pay his or her toll charge.
How Is FASTag Attached To Your Vehicle?
Here’s a simple walkthrough of how you can stick your FASTag onto your vehicle.
- Take off the adhesive liner from the front face of your tag
- Now stick your FASTag (adhesive side glued to your windshield) onto the top middle of your windshield from inside your car, below your rearview mirror
- Don’t stick it anywhere near your car’s default RFID (assuming your car has one)
- If the glue is not strong, don’t try to use tape or other adhesives; just ask your issuer for a replacement instead
- Once affixed, do not try to reposition your FASTag as this may damage your RFID
How It Functions
Through its RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology, automatic transactions are enabled as you drive through the toll booth, thus saving you time as you don’t have to wait your turn amidst a sea of vehicles. A reader is installed at the toll plaza. It can read your FASTag from as far as 25 metres away. Cool, right?
What Are Its Benefits?
- Automation deduction of toll charge as you pass by the booth
- SMS alerts on registered mobile number for every transaction
- Can be recharged online
- Easy access to web customer portal
- 5-year validity
- Contributes to reduction of paper use at toll booth for billing
- Incentives such as cashback – ICICI is offering a 2.5% cashback on FASTag transactions till Dec 1, 2019
Additional Reading: A Vacation Spot For Every Budget
Why Is It Being Talked About Now?
The reason is simple – the Government has decided to make FASTag a mandate by December 2019. The objectives of this move are to promote digital payments and decongest our national highways.
Additional Reading: The Ideal Checklist For Your Monsoon Road Trip
Sounds, Good. I’m Sold. Now, How Do I Register For It?
If you’re planning to apply for a FASTag via banks such as HDFC & ICICI, the process is quite simple.
- Go on to the issuer’s website and fill out the fields in their online form. Details such as your name, address, vehicle’s registration number, PAN card number etc are collected through this form.
- You can then upload a soft copy of your ID proof. Once you’ve filled out your form, you can pay Rs. 500 and submit your application.
- Your FASTag should then reach you within a week or even just a couple of days
If you want to go old-school, you can always get your FASTag at any toll booth. Carry your ID proof, address proof, vehicle registration document, and a passport-size photo along.
What Are The Costs Involved?
For a typical car used for personal purposes, the total cost involved in obtaining a FASTag is Rs. 500. If you want details about the breakup of the cost, you can check out web pages of FASTag issuers below:
- HDFC Bank
- ICICI Bank
Here Are Other Banks/Issuers Linked With FASTag:
- Axis Bank
- IndusInd Bank
- Equitas Small Finance Bank
Psst… you’ll find more information about the application process on the websites of the above issuers.
Where Can FASTag Be Bought?
You can either get it from the above banks or at any toll plaza. Couch-potatoes can also get it via Amazon!
Additional Reading: All About Driving Licence
What Happens If I Don’t Get A FASTag Post December?
Well, you’ll be asked to pay double the toll fee as you pass by any booth. What’s more? While you’ll be waiting in the cash queue, all the FASTaggers will zip past you. In short, you’ll just be wasting time and money if you don’t get a FASTag.
Are Monthly Passes Available?
Yes, but monthly passes are specific to each toll plaza. For more information, you can get in touch with your issuer/bank.
Walk Me Through The Recharge Process
Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy! You can top up your FASTag on any of the issuer websites by making an online payment via Debit Card, Credit Card or wallet. You’ll get SMS updates about your account balance on your registered mobile number.
Pro-tip: Recharge your FASTag with a Cashback Credit Card and earn money with every transaction!