Since the government has made FASTag mandatory from February 15th, 2021, here’s an easy guide to all things FASTag!
It’s official – FASTag is now mandatory.
While most of us are onboard with FASTag, there may still be some who are unfamiliar with the concept. If you’re one of them, here’s all the info you need to get geared up for the change. Engines on? 3…2…1…let’s go!
What Is FASTag?
It’s an easy-to-use tag that facilitates the automation of toll booth payments, thus saving you from the hassle of waiting in line to pay the toll booth fee in cash while you come up with innovative curse words to describe that one person ahead of you who seems to be taking so long just to pay his or her toll charge.
How Is FASTag Attached To Your Vehicle?
Here’s a simple walkthrough of how you can stick your FASTag onto your vehicle.
- Take off the adhesive liner from the front face of your tag
- Now stick your FASTag (adhesive side glued to your windshield) onto the top middle of your windshield from inside your car, below your rearview mirror
- Don’t stick it anywhere near your car’s default RFID (assuming your car has one)
- If the glue is not strong, don’t try to use tape or other adhesives; just ask your issuer for a replacement instead
- Once affixed, do not try to reposition your FASTag as this may damage your RFID
How Does It Function?
Through its RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology, automatic transactions are enabled as you drive through the toll booth, thus saving you time as you don’t have to wait your turn amidst a sea of vehicles. A reader is installed at the toll plaza. It can read your FASTag from as far as 25 metres away. Cool, right?
What Are Its Benefits?
- Automation deduction of toll charge as you pass by the booth
- SMS alerts on registered mobile number for every transaction
- Can be recharged online
- Easy access to web customer portal
- 5-year validity
- Contributes to reduction of paper use at toll booth for billing
- Incentives such as cashback
Additional Reading: A Vacation Spot For Every Budget
How Do I Get One?
If you’re planning to apply for a FASTag via your bank, the process is quite simple.
- Go on to the issuer’s website and fill out the fields in their online form. Details such as your name, address, vehicle’s registration number, PAN card number etc. are collected through this form.
- You can then upload a soft copy of your ID proof. Once you’ve filled out your form, you can pay Rs. 500 and submit your application.
- Your FASTag should then reach you within a week or even just a couple of days
If you want to go old-school, you can always get your FASTag at any toll booth. Carry your ID proof, address proof, vehicle registration document, and a passport-size photo along.
What Are The Costs Involved?
Here’s a quick break-up of the fees:
- One-time fee of Rs. 200
- Refundable security deposit of Rs. 200 (varies depending on your vehicle)
- Re-issuance fee of Rs. 100
P.S: Some costs may differ from one issuer to another.
Here Are Other Banks/Issuers Linked With FASTag:
- Axis Bank
- IndusInd Bank
- Equitas Small Finance Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Syndicate Bank
- Federal bank
- South Indian Bank
- Punjab National bank
- IndusInd Bank
- Yes Bank
- Union Bank
- City Union Bank
- Sarawat Bank
- Punjab & Maharashtra Co-op Bank
- Syndicate Bank
Psst… you’ll find more information about the application process on the websites of the above issuers.
Note: Fan of e-shopping? You can also get your FASTag via Amazon & Flipkart now!
Additional Reading: All About Driving Licence
Are Monthly Passes Available?
Yes, but monthly passes are specific to each toll plaza. For more information, you can get in touch with your issuer/bank.
Walk Me Through The Recharge Process
Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy! You can top up your FASTag through any of the issuer websites by making an online payment via Debit Card, Credit Card or digital wallet. You’ll get SMS updates about your account balance on your registered mobile number.
Latest Update Regarding The FASTag
IMPORTANT: The government has mandated the use of FASTag from February 15, 2021 onwards. The objective of this move is to promote digital payments and decongest our national highways.
Additional Reading: The Ideal Checklist For Your Monsoon Road Trip
What If I Still Don’t Have a FASTag?
Well, get ready to pay double the toll booth fee every time you pass one! That’s right! Effective from February 15th, 2021, anyone who wishes to cross a toll booth sans a FASTag will have to cough up double the toll fee as a penalty.
PS: This rule also applies to any vehicle that enters a FASTag lane with an invalid FASTag.
Pro-tip: Recharge your FASTag with a Cashback Credit Card and earn money with every transaction!