Tennis buffs rejoice! Here’s how you can catch all the action at Wimbledon, in person, without courting financial suicide. Read on to know more!
If you ever felt the grass was always greener on the other side, well, that’s because it actually is. With the most famous tennis event in the world underway in the UK, tennis fans from near and far have been getting giddy with excitement, like they do every year.
Wimbledon has always held a special place in the hearts of sports fans everywhere. While it certainly is the crowning jewel in the Grand Slam crown, its reputation and history make it one of the most revered and renowned sporting extravaganzas in the world.
Sure, watching all the live action on your TV screen at home can be quite an immersive experience, but nothing really beats being at Wimbledon in person to soak in the incredible atmosphere. There really isn’t anything quite like witnessing luminaries of the game like Federer and Nadal, in the flesh, battle it out on centre court.
To help you get there without hoovering out every last penny from your bank account, we’re going to recommend some great deals on Credit Cards that are sure to have you jumping for joy.
This Credit Card could be the ace up your sleeve that gets you off your couch and lands you on hallowed ground, practically rubbing shoulders with the elite of world tennis.
Cardholders get a 5% discount on the base fare for both domestic and international flights booked on the Jet Airways website or JetKonnect website. You even get a Complimentary Priority Pass, which gives you access to over 600 airport lounges all across the world.
And to ensure you’re well protected on your travels, you also get complimentary Travel Insurance, which also includes lost baggage protection worth Rs. 1 lakh.
Similar in every single way to the Credit Card mentioned above, with the added addition of a 1+1 offer on BookMyShow and Sathyam Cinemas. So, if you’re a movie buff as well as a tennis buff, then you certainly can’t go wrong with this card.
Just like the Visa Card, this Credit Card is tailor-made for frequent fliers and also offers 20% at restaurants, a 1% fuel surcharge waiver at petrol pumps across India and complimentary golf games and lessons, which will definitely come in handy if you’re looking to wind down your holiday after gorging on two solid weeks of non-stop tennis.
With either of these Credit Cards by your side, your Wimbledon experience is sure to be enhanced beyond all expectations.
Here’s another Credit Card that comes with a wide range of cool benefits that even the most discerning traveller will find hard to ignore. With the SBI Yatra Credit Card, you can get Rs. 4,000 off on the total fare on your international flight booking (minimum transaction Rs. 40,000). In fact, you can avail this discount 6 times in a calendar year by using the code TRAVEL at the time of booking.
It also offers cardholders a complimentary air accident death cover worth Rs. 50 lakhs if you book your ticket on the Yatra website.
Lounge lizards everywhere are sure to delight in what this card has to offer. As a cardholder, you can get up to 6 complimentary lounge visits in a year across over 700 airport lounges worldwide. As part of the Miles Exchange Program, you can exchange your reward points for air miles and hotels.
In addition, you can also redeem your reward points for airline and hotel bookings across over 150 airlines and domestic and international hotels. Sounds like a sound deal to us!
Additional Reading: Money Management Lessons From The #GOAT
While immersing yourself in all the phenomenal tennis action on display will, of course, be your top priority, there are some excellent tourist attractions you can visit around Wimbledon while you have some downtime on your hands.
Check these out if you happen to be in the vicinity:
Wimbledon may be known around the world almost solely for tennis, but this tiny district also plays host to a wide range of cultural events that are sure to enthrall the most ardent travellers. Wimbledon Village, which is located at the heart of the Wimbledon district, is frequented by tourists throughout the year eager to partake in book festivals and fancy dress events or even to sample some of the fresh produce from the Wimbledon Farmers’ Market.
Wat Buddhapadipa Temple
Believe it or not, Wimbledon is also home to an honest-to-goodness Buddhist monastery. The Wat Buddhapadipa Temple was the first Buddhist monastery to be built in England and is surrounded by lush pastures and orchards. It certainly is worth a visit, especially since its tranquil surroundings are a stark contrast from the hustle and bustle of London, which is only a few miles away. This makes it a perfect place to unwind after a day of non-stop shopping at London’s finest boutique stores.
You’re probably thinking this sounds fine and dandy, but how exactly does one get to the UK in the first place? Well, regardless of whether you’re a frequent visitor or a first-time traveller, here’s everything you need to know about applying for a UK visa.
If you’re heading there to combine a visit to Wimbledon with a much-needed vacation, then you will need to apply for a UK tourist visa.
This visa is also known as a Standard Tourist Visa and is usually granted to individuals who are looking to visit the UK for a short time period. This period could last up to 6 months. However, frequent travellers can also apply for a Long-Term Visitor Visa, which could be valid from 2.5 years to 10 years, provided they show proof of frequent visits to the UK.
Eligibility Criteria For UK Tourist Visa
In order to apply for a UK tourist visa, the following eligibility criteria will have to be met:
- Proof of return on the scheduled date
- Proof confirming that you can financially sustain yourself during your visit to the UK
- Proof of any activities you will be taking part in while visiting the UK (eg: Wimbledon match tickets)
- Proof of frequent visits to the UK (for long-term visa applicants)
Documentation Required For UK Tourist Visa
The following documents will have to be provided along with the application form:
- Valid passport or travel document
- Financial or bank statements showing adequate funds
- Translation of any document that is in a language other than English or Welsh
UK Tourist Visa Form Information
Individuals travelling to the UK for a short visit or holiday are required to fill in the Visit and Short Term Stay (VAF1A) Form, which can be downloaded from the official UK government website or the British High Commission website.
Remember to read the instructions carefully before filling the form and use only black or blue ink. The form must be filled in English only.
The following details need to be entered in the form:
- Visitor visa type (tourist / to visit friends / other)
- Duration of stay
- Purpose of visit
- Travel dates (include entry date as well as exit date from the UK)
- Your full name
- Marital status
- Date and place of birth
- Nationality and country of birth
- Dual citizenship status, if any
- Passport details such as passport number, expiry, date, and place of issue
- Residential address
- Contact information such as email address, telephone, and mobile number
- Family-related information such as father/mother/spouse name, date and place of birth and nationality
- Details regarding spouse/children, if any
- Financial and employment details, such as current employment status
- Type of employment currently engaged in, duration of employment and organisation details
- Work address and previous work history
- Details of income and employment
- Details of cost of a visit to the UK
- Details of previous travel to foreign countries
- Previous travel to the UK, with details, if any
- Record of any criminal history in a foreign country, if any
Additional Reading: 5 Beautiful Countries Indians Can Visit Without A Visa
Application Process For A UK Tourist Visa
- Fill the application form either online or physically
- After submitting the form, visit a Visa Application Centre on the date and time allotted. Your biometric information like fingerprint scan and photograph will be taken
- You will be required to be physically present at the Visa Application Center. Make sure you carry the form, visa fee, and all supporting documents
- Once the filing process is completed you will be issued with an acknowledgement, which has to be presented when collecting the documents you submitted.
- You will then be notified of the status of your application within three weeks from the time of filing your application
Additional Reading: 10 More Countries Indians Can Visit Without A Visa
There you have it! Doesn’t sound too difficult, does it? Time to pack your tennis memorabilia in your suitcase and head out to Old Blighty. You never know. You just might get a bunch of autographs and maybe even a selfie with some of the tennis greats, both past and present, who are sure to be hanging about at Wimbledon.
If you’re looking to get your finances in order, we have a ton of amazing financial products to help you do just that.